Lady Marmalade





It's been another blah-neverending winter-grey-colder than it should be week, so I decided to spice things up a bit and do some canning. I made Blood Orange Marmalade which turned out to be very blood-colored indeed. This is the first time I had ever made marmalade (as opposed to jams and jellies) and it certainly took a while to prepare all of the ingredients. A lot of people are unaware that marmalade has actual pieces of rind in it, I think mostly because it's cooked down to the point that it's no longer chewy and really very soft. In order to get rind that soft, you really have to boil it down- hence the long prep time. The one nice thing about marmalade however, is that it requires no extra pectin to make it gel. Apparently there is naturally enough in the fruit that all you have to do is boil it long enough and it makes instant jelly! Blood Orange marmalade was the definitely the highlight of my week.

In seedling news, the first true leaves are starting to show up on the tomatoes and my peppers finally sprouted! Just some late bloomers I guess. Everything is going well and I should be starting some herb seeds this coming week. Also, check out the cat grass- it's crazy! The cats have really enjoyed it so far. I now just leave it next to their food bowls and they munch on it as they please. Until next time...

-Mrs. Growbot

0 comments:

Post a Comment